Insurance will deny the claim as Denial Code CO 27 – Expenses incurred after coverage terminated, when patient policy was termed at the time of service. It means provider performed the health care services to the patient after the member insurance policy terminated.
Please take the below action, when you receive the Denial Code CO 27 – Expenses incurred after coverage terminated:
- First check eligibility through particular website or reach out the customer service department to confirm policy effective and termination date.
- After checking if you come across patient policy is active at the time service provided, then send the claim back for reprocessing.
- Suppose if patient policy was termed at the time service provided, then the next step is to check in application or contact subscriber to see patient has any other active insurance at the time service provided.
- If active insurance found at the time service provided, please update and file the claim.
- If member doesn’t have any other active insurance, bill the patient.
You can reach out the insurance claims department with the following questions to resolve the below denial:
|Denial Code CO 27 Expenses incurred after coverage terminated|
|1||May I know Patient policy effective and termination date|
|2||If patient policy is active||If patient policy is inactive|
|3||Inform same with the rep stating patient policy is active at the time of service and it’s denied incorrectly.|
Please recheck and send the claim back for reprocessing.
|Next step is to check with rep, whether member has any other active insurance or policy|
|4||If yes||Final step is to check in software application or reach out member to obtain other active insurance details. If not available “Bill Patient”.|
|5||Obtain Insurance Name, Member ID# and insurance contact details to check eligibility and file the claim.|
|7||May I know the claim Number|
|8||May I know the call reference Number|